Learn the basics of
Taught over 4 consecutive weeks on Thursdays or Fridays, this course is designed to give participants an introduction to green woodworking using an axe and a knife. Suitable for complete beginners, those who have carpentry experience but are new to green woodwork, and those who have done a little green woodwork and would like to learn more.
This course is also an induction to the London Green Wood workshop at Abney Park and participants are invited to continue using the workshop after the course.
We will make a series of practice projects (e.g. spoons and spatulas) using unseasoned timber straight from the tree and hand tools.
You will learn:
– The principles of green woodwork
– Safe and confident axing techniques
– Knife grips from the Swedish tradition of spoon carving
– Tool sharpening and tool maintenance.
By the end of the course we hope participants will feel confident to continue to make things in wood, either on their own or at our regular Thursday and Friday open workshop sessions. So this course should be seen as the beginning of a wood affair.
- Cost: £220 (£170 concessions)
- Suitable for: over 18s only, no previous experience required
- Courses held: on Thursdays / Fridays over 4 weeks.
- Times: 9am-4pm
For further information: please contact us