We are a cooperative
Coop members’ workshop:
The workshop is open to members every Monday, Thursday, Friday and the first Saturday of every month (daytimes only). There is no formal teaching but there are people around to advise. Tools and wood are provided.
Membership of our cooperative is open to anyone who:
- is 18 years old and over; is physically and mentally able to work safely and independently in the workshop;
- has sufficient woodwork skills to be able to work safely and independently in the workshop (this is usually through joining our Intro to Green Woodwork course);
- and supports the aims of London Green Wood.
We have four membership meetings each year where members are invited to participate in the development of LGW.
£50-£100 non-refundable annual fee, depending on disposable income. Free membership for refugees and asylum seekers with no recourse to public funds.
Benefits of membership:
- Our members’ workshop, currently open to members every Monday, Thursday, Friday, and the first Saturday of each month.
- Discounted courses, members who would like a woodwork skills recap are offered a 50% discount on Intro courses and on one day courses running on Fridays.
- Bringing friends and family, members may bring a friend or family member to use the workshop at a rate of £5/day.
- Insurance, LGW insurance covers members to teach or demonstrate on a not-for-profit basis at any venue in the UK.
Other opportunities for members:
- Members can take on paid work for LGW on a self-employed basis, e.g. facilitating have-a-go sessions at community events or teaching courses.
- Members can sell their own work at the Abney Park shop (5% commission to Abney Park Trust), at LGW events and via the website.
- Members who are able to take responsibility for keeping workshop users and the public safe and commit to opening the workshop during a regular slot can apply to the Directors to become keyholders.
- Members can put themselves forward to become Directors of LGW at the AGM elections.
- Members are invited to contribute to the development of the cooperative through attending meetings or by making suggestions the Directors.