Join the cooperative
London Green Wood (LGW) is a members cooperative with around 50 members.
The workshop is open to members every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and the first weekend of every month both Saturday and Sunday, and usually a couple of other Saturday each month. The workshop is only open daytimes. There is no formal teaching but there are people around to advise. Tools and wood are provided.
Outside of courses and partnership projects, the workshop is only available for use by members of the cooperative, or guests of coop members.
Information for our members:
To check which weekends we are open check the calendar– if we are open for a course we are open for members. Please note that during turning courses and during day 4 of the Induction course there may not be a spare lathe available for members. Shave horses can also be in high demand during spatula and bowl carving courses.
Sam is hosting a Spoon Club, 6-8pm Thursday 26th May, 30th June and 28th July. For LGW members only, free, bring your own knives.
Membership of our cooperative is open to anyone who:
- is 18 years old and over; is physically and mentally able to work safely and independently in the workshop;
- has sufficient woodwork skills to be able to work safely and independently in the workshop (this is usually through joining our Induction to the LGW Workshop course);
- and supports the aims of LGW.
We aim to meet four times per year including an AGM. In accordance with the cooperative principle of democratic member control, each member shall have one vote on any question to be decided in a general meeting. There is no obligation to attend any meetings, however we hope that members will attend general meetings and take an active interest in the operation and development of the cooperative and its business.
- Full fee £150.
- Low income £100.
- Unwaged £50.
- Free membership for refugees and asylum seekers with no recourse to public funds.
Membership is an annual and non-refundable fee.
Benefits of membership:
- Use of the workshop, currently open to members every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and the first weekend of every month.
- Special courses and skill-sharing sessions for members, at cost and sometimes for free.
- Discounted courses, members who would like a woodwork skills recap are offered a 50% discount on most of our courses.
- Bringing friends and family, members may bring and supervise a friend or family member to use the workshop at a rate of £5/day.
- Insurance, LGW insurance covers members to teach or demonstrate on a not-for-profit basis at any venue in the UK.
Other opportunities for members:
- Members can take on paid work for LGW on a self-employed basis, e.g. facilitating have-a-go sessions at community events or teaching courses.
- Members can sell their own work on the LGW stall at events and via our online shop.
- Members who are able to take responsibility for keeping workshop users and the public safe, and commit to opening the workshop during a regular slot can apply to the Directors to become keyholders.
- Members can stand for election to become a Director of LGW.
- All members are invited to contribute to the development of the cooperative through attending meetings or by making suggestions the Directors.
How to join the LGW cooperative:
All prospective members are recommended to join our Induction to the LGW Workshop course. This is our most in-depth course and can be tailored to all levels of experience. Unless you are a very experienced green woodworker you will be asked to join this course before becoming a member of the workshop. We have had luthiers and restoration carpenters join this course and learn new skills, in fact those with other types of woodwork training and the confidence to develop a beginners mindset gain the most from this course.
See our Members’ Handbook.